February is already half gone which means Summer will be upon us before we know it.
If you’re an avid runner, we know that nothing will stop you from running.
Yet summer is the one season that can be hardest on your skin especially if you run outdoors.
In this post, we will uncover 11 summer skincare tips that will ensure that your skin stays healthy and glowy (as it should be!) all summer.
Here we go.
11 Summer Skincare Tips for Runners
- Drink more water – Staying hydrated has more benefits for your skin than you think. As a runner you lose more water as you run. Staying hydrated should definitely be a priority especially during the hot summer months.
- Use your sunscreens – Get that SPF-containing sunscreen and keep your skin from damaging UVA and UVB rays. There are also special sunscreens formulated for athletes that you can use during this season.
- Hats and sunglasses are your best friends – Still on the topic of keeping your skin protected from harmful sun rays, wear hats and sunglasses. These items also keep your skin from losing moisture quickly.
- Sweat is good. But you need to stay dry. – You will be sweating a lot. Use antiperspirant to stay dry. You can keep other areas of your body dry by wiping and using products like petroleum jelly and talcum powder. Moisture that is unattended will lead to fungal and bacterial infections.
- Watch out against heat exhaustion – This is more of an overall health tip. Heat exhaustion is a severe condition that is related to the body overheating. Symptoms include:
- Heavy sweating
- Cool moist skin even though it is hot outside
- A weak and rapid pulse/heartbeat
- Muscle cramps
- Low blood pressure
If you find you begin to experience this while you run, stop all activity, move to a cooler place and drink some fluids-preferably a drink that has electrolytes.
- Avoid the sun between 10am and 4pm – This is when the sun’s rays are the hottest and when the UV rays are the most damaging.
- Watch out for acne – Blood rushing to your face as a result of exercise, sweat and strenuous activity can all trigger acne for runners. If you are practicing the skincare tips above, they should prevent this from happening. However, if you find that acne or other skin condition for that matter is getting worse after you run, speak to your dermatologist.
- Take a cool shower after you run – Apart from helping you relax, a nice, cool shower after you run will keep your skin clean so that infections are kept at bay.
- Rest when you need to – If you realize you need to rest while you run, by all means rest. Our bodies do a good job of communicating what is wrong. Listen to your body as you run.
- Yes, we know it is hot but please keep your clothes on as much as possible. Remember when we talked about protecting your skin from the sun?
- Fill up on antioxidants – According to research studies, during exercise, your body release chemicals called free radicals. Free radicals can be damaging to your skin and health. To counteract this, drink fluids with antioxidants in them. Antioxidants neutralize these free radicals so they don’t cause the damage they could.
And there you have it!
12 summer skincare/health tips you can use as a runner.